The Last Question Comic: Here's a cool link to a web comic of Issac Asimov's "The Last Question": http://imgur.com/gallery/9KWrH
8-Bit Philosophy: Plato's Cave: Here's a rad link to the "8-bit Philosophy" series that explains Plato's allegory of the den: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDaSgyi3xE
8-Bit Philosophy: Parmenides and Zeno: Here's a bodacious link to the "8-bit Philosophy" series that explores the question of whether or not change is possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80FP_ivdWnk
What Does the Locke Say?: Here's a ridiculous link to a song parody exploring the beliefs of John Locke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItXvJLnTtk
Why Elon Musk says we're living in a computer simulation: Here's a link to a YouTube video that briefly explains the theory behind Nick Bostrom's essay "Are you Living in a Computer Simulation?": www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0KHiiTtt4w
Ray Kurzweil: The Coming Singularity: In this video, philosopher and futurist Ray Kurzweil explains his theory on The Singularity, a point in human development where man and machine intellect begin to intersect and intertwine exponentially. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIzS1uCOcE
Ray Kurzweil is Wrong about the Coming Singularity: In this video, NASA bioethicist Paul Root Wolpe critiques Ray Kurzweil's description of the relationship between human and machine intellect. www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRgMTjTMovc
Cartesian Skepticism--Neo, Meet Rene: Crash Course Philosophy #5: In this cheeky video, PBS takes you through an explanation of Cartesian skepticism and applies it to The Matrix. www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKrmw906TM
The Matrix and The Cave: This video explores some of the key philosophical questions raised by The Matrix. www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNMZEDOBrM
Plato's Republic: A Macat Overview: This brief video explores the rationale behind Plato's Republic. www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA8WMl_uZuk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvdO-Qx5ykUnit 2 Harkness Videos: These videos are supplementary materials that you can read/view in preparation for our Harkness discussion of Hobbes/Locke.
- The Selfish Gene: A ten minute video where Richard Dawkins explains the relationship between genetics and human altruism. www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8C-ntwUpzM
- More: A bizarre six minute short film that asks the question 'what is at the core of modern man?' (It's Claymation!) www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCeeTfsm8bk
- "Greed is Good" www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_iorX_MAw and "Corruption is Why We Win" www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuBstLZINco Two famous monologues from two famous films. The first is from Wall Street; it features a defense of greed. The second is from Syriana; it features a defense of corruption.
- "We, the Polity": An essay that traces political theory through the history of philosophy, including Thomas Hobbes.
- "Rewriting the Code of Life": An essay about efforts to reshape mankind at the genetic level to improve our species' moral character. Can we genetically eliminate selfishness?
- "How to Build an Autocracy": An examination of whether or not President Trump is a modern-day leviathan.
- "Degrees of Evil": An essay that examines whether or not evil is part of man, or a social phenomenon.
- "The People's Champion": A podcast that explores the limits of democracy and the attraction of authoritarianism.
- The Partially Examined Life: Two philosophy podcasters discuss the theories of Thomas Hobbes (14 minutes). www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvdO-Qx5yk
Unit 3 Harkness Videos/Essays: These sources are optional supplementary texts that you can view in preparation for the Harkness discussion.
- An Introduction to Romantic Poetry: A short lecture on Romantic ideas: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOYgCmCD3VQ
- History of Ideas: Romanticism: An excellent summary of Romanticism as a movement: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRWBI0JTYQ
- How Romanticism Ruined Love: A YouTube essay on how Romantic ideas ruined human love: www.youtube.com/watch?v=jltM5qYn25w
- "A Romantic View of Technology Design" An Atlantic essay exploring the intersection of digital technologies and Romanticism.
- "The Upside of Irrationality" A speech (careful-- it's long!) by Dan Ariely on the economic value of irrationality: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag9f8AX02j8
- "Hegel": An excellent primer on Hegelian theory: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5JGE3lhuNo
- "The End of History: 25 Years On": This 2014 BBC program asks whether or not the fall of Communism meant 'the end of history': www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHxXeggXO14
- "Is Tinder Killing Love?" A short video exploring the limits of romantic relations in the age of Tinder. Links to Hegel!
- "History of Ideas: Marx": This video looks at the theories of Karl Marx: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQgCy_iIcc
- "The Corporation: Boundary Issues": This video suggests that corporations have infringed on the public good: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCq-6AVX2Q4
- "The Enron Scandal": This video documents the Enron accounting scandal that typifies some of the problems implicit in capitalism: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY6zEonpEiQ
- "What does Late Capitalism Mean?" A video explaining the origin of the term "late capitalism" as a way of explaining modern trends in capitalism.
- "Apple Capitalism vs. Google Capitalism": An essay from The Atlantic exploring how the two dominant tech companies are vying to shape the future of American capitalism.
- "Disaster Capitalism" An essay from Harper's that explores the way capitalism exploits disasters.
- "Crash-Course Philosophy: Existentialism": This video explains/explores existentialism: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDvRdLMkHs
- "Crash-Course Philosophy: The Problem of Evil": This video explains/explores the problem of evil: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AzNEG1GB-k
- "Suicide: The Myth of Sisyphus": This video explains Albert Camus' essay "The Myth of Sisyphus": www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdF0k4DN1U
- "Free Will Doesn't Exist" An essay in The Atlantic exploring new scientific theory on the nature of free will.
- "A Plea for 21st Century Existentialism" A blog entry suggesting that people are no longer interested in anything existential because they're just too darn tired.
- "Rick and Morty: The Philosophy of Szechuan Sauce" A YouTube Video exploring themes of existentialism in Rick and Morty.